返回列表 發帖

許多灰鸚活不過五歲

鳥類獸醫的專訪...
(http://www.parrotsdailynews.com/ ... eep-as-pet-part-vi/)

問:  I have heard that African Grey Parrots often die at early age as pets, is that true?

獸醫答:

I agree, many African Grey Parrots die within the first five years of their age.

問: Do you think that this is caused by unexperienced breeders or pet owners?

獸醫答:

Actually, sometimes it might be difficult to find out the cause.

To my mind, 90% of troubles are caused by owners. I don’t say that it’s their intention…

My oldest African Grey patient is more than 40 years old, I don’t know any older in person. This parrot comes from a lady whose husband worked as a diplomat in Africa. They bought two young African Grey Parrots there, one died at the age of 38 years, the second is still living.

As for African Greys… To my mind, this species is not mostly a suitable pet at all.
Only sometimes it really works that a family and the African Grey Parrot get along.
However, their popularity is just set so high because they can imitate the human talk well. But I really believe that there are many reasons why we shouldn’t buy this species as a pet. I also don’t think that it’s possible to explain this to people because they want always a talking parrot. Many people who acquire this species will find out that it can be very difficult to keep it and will sell it, eventually.

African Greys are so conservative in matter of the diet. I believe that this is caused by their natural ecology. They hate any sudden changes in their environment. Maybe this protects them in the wild.

Another thing is that this species live in flocks and there is some hierarchy for sure.
So when the parrot is lonely then it wants to have a flock from family members or have a strong bond with its owner. But, understandably, humans don’t behave as the bird expect and that’s the cause of many conflicts.

The parrot wants to be dominant and sometimes it is allowed to and sometimes not. That’s why the animal is so confused and start self-damaging.

Or it is allowed to be dominant always and the whole family is being bited, you can’t cut bird’s nails, it eats only sunflower etc.

Or another case is when sexual hormones play a role. When it’s mixed with above mentioned problems then it’s very difficult to solve.

Nobody wants to have a plucked bird so people let vet to do some examinations but there are so many possible causes that it can take a very long time to fix it.
To summarize it, the African Grey Parrot is a very difficult bird…

返回列表